Comic-Con

Comic-Con

Friday, March 28, 2014

Book Review: Fire Light

Fire Light

by J. Abram Barneck
 

             I recently met J. Abram Barneck at LTUE. He’s a genuinely nice guy who was down to earth and very easy to talk to. After discussing his work, I decided to read his first novel, Fire Light.
 Druid Mormons, vampires, and a secret society operating underground in Salt Lake City? The premise alone was interesting enough to justify the $2.99 Kindle version.
            The main character, seventeen-year-old Jacob Stevens has always felt a little strange, not just because his mother flinches every time she sees him (Jacob’s a product of rape). He heals to fast, only requires four hours of sleep and never gets sore. Strange dreams and an overwhelming urge to protect the innocent are a constant irritation. Jake just wants to be normal, but when he discovers his druid lineage, he realizes he will never be a regular teenager.
            Fire Light is a New Adult, James Bond kind of fantasy mixed with magical elements. You have the love triangle between Jacob, the druid dhampir, Alexis, who is always scandalously clad in skin-tight leather, and sweet little girl-next-door, Kendra. Through the course of the plot, there was plenty of fighting, action, disappearing clothing, and even some real life issues plaguing some youth.
Please understand, I’m not a teenage boy, and it was a little disconcerting being placed into one’s thoughts so vividly. Since I’m raising a sixteen-year-old daughter, I’d rather not know how the opposite sex thinks at this age for fear of wanting to lock my little girl away until she turns thirty. Clearly, I was not the intended audience, so I’m not going to focus on the male hormones, and in fairness base my four-star rating off of the parts I liked.
            Barneck did an amazing job of describing magic in tangible terms. I was able to experience the feel, understand the science behind the art of casting, and predict the consequences of the characters using spells. Living in Utah myself, I had fun to following the chases and fights through neighborhoods that I’m familiar with. I loved the Nightwalker scene on Bangeter highway. The tension and mood was set with supreme skill, and knowing the terrain made the experience much more vivid.


2 comments:

  1. Great details in this review without spoiling the read. just getting into this book myself. Thanks, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Christine. I'm excited to review your second book in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete