Comic-Con

Comic-Con

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Nina Douglas

Last week, I signed a book contract with Fox Hollow Publications, as many of you probably already know (insert happy dance here). My debut novel, Copper Descent, will be released later this year.  First round of edits are due back any day now, and I’m so excited to share this series with all of you!  As a precursor, I've decided to provide some insights into one of my characters each week until my release date, starting with Nina Douglas:



 Nina Douglas

Everything begins and ends with Nina.  She is the catalyst force throughout The Sentient Chronicles, and her decisions in Copper Descent not only affect all of humanity, but the outcome of every race.  

I loved the complexity involved in developing Nina's character.  Writing her felt like unsheathing an ear of corn—a layer would be peeled away, and I'd think, "That's interesting," but I kept finding more pieces underneath.  I'm still not 100% sure the kernels have been reached.  She starts out so broken and grows into this fierce woman who would take on the devil himself to protect her loved ones.  

The same questions are posed to Nina time and again.  Can she trust her feelings for Nate or does the shadowy figure tormenting her dreams carry too strong of a hold? Is she resilient enough to defy her mother’s prophecy, or was she right about changing fate?

Imagine being told by your mother you will be the reason the Earth falls into darkness.  Hard to wrap my mind around, but not really an uncommon concept.  All new adults face a similar hurdle when they break away from the expectations of their parents to follow the paths they have decided.  In Copper Descent, Nina becomes the ultimate coming of age character, putting aside her insecurities and choosing to do what she believes is right instead of falling into her mother's mold.  Through her trials, she becomes stronger, and even garnishes a deeper understanding of the woman she believed so cruel. This is crucial later, when Nina faces the other side of parenting in book four (Mercury Ascending).


I hope you enjoy reading Nina as much as I loved creating her.

No comments:

Post a Comment