Open Door

Open Door

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goodbye, Uncle Doug

    My Uncle Doug passed away this morning and I find myself reflecting on my childhood once again.  I have lost so many loved ones over the past several years, people who have influenced my life in profound ways with simple acts of kindness.  Uncle Doug and Aunt Julie's house was my most favorite place in the whole world when I was growing up.  I would walk in the door and Uncle Doug would beam at me through his thick glasses and shout "Angie baby!" like he was so excited to see me, which he always seemed to be.  Looking back now, I realize that he was the only male figure in my life who actually listened to what I had to say.  I was kind of a chatterbox and a complete overly-sensitive mess who would cry at the drop of a hat, but he was gentle and infinitely patient with me.  There house was a constant -- my sactuary that was a soft place for me to land.  I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge just how important this loving couple were to me.  He is with Aunt Julie now, but their seeds of compassion will continue to sprout up, echoing through eternity.

2 comments:

  1. Is this the Uncle that lives with you? I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, this is another uncle. Thank you for your condolences, Am.

    ReplyDelete